Childcare First Aid
This certificated course is designed to motivate and train a person to be the First Aid person capable of providing immediate first aid assistance in any situation.
Attendees are trained to a high standard of patient care with both instructor and peer assessment throughout the course. More than 50% of the course is practical so that attendees gain competency with the various First Aid techniques.
Persons over the age of sixteen who are to be appointed as the designated First Aid person for children and people wanting a thorough knowledge of First Aid specializing in childcare.
- Approaching an Accident Scene
- Overview of regulations relating to accidents in the workplace
- Scene Safety
- Scene Assessment & management
- Rescue Breathing - adult / child / infant
- CPR - adult / child / infant
- Primary Assessment
- External and Internal bleeding
- Shock & Recovery Position
- Heart Conditions
- Heart Attack
- Head, neck & spinal injuries
- Soft Tissue Injuries - Sprains & strains
- Illness Assessment
- Meningococcal meningitis
- Burns & Scalds
- Fracture & dislocations
- Wound Care
- Choking - adult / child / infant – Conscious and Unconscious
- Treatment of wounds from poisonous reptiles / spiders / jellyfish etc
Meditrain South is a registered Private Training Establishment that offers first aid courses that are recognized by Worksafe as Workplace First Aid Course and are accredited by the New Zealand Qualification Authority and the Ministry of Education.
The unit standards associated with this course are:
- 6400 - Manage first aid in emergency situation (level 3, 2 credits)
- 6401 - Provide First Aid - Version 6, Level 2, Credits 1
- 6402 - Provide Basic Life Support - Version 8, Level 1, Credits 1